Sunday, September 18, 2011

Swanson Park / Bellevue, NE


(map is oriented with north to the left)

Trail Notes:
A) 0.0 miles Trail entrance
B) 0.5 miles Drop with steep, short, rooty up
C) 1.16 miles Quick down and up with airtime
D) 1.36 miles Creepy pile of pompoms
E) 1.5 miles Ravine dive
F) 1.9 miles Start of big climb
G) 2.56 miles Top of big climb
H) 2.8 miles Decent around firefighter training area
I) 3.4 miles Fun series of hops
J) 3.5 miles Start of rooty climb
K) 3.7 miles Top of rooty climb
L) 4.31 miles Trail exit to parking lot

Swanson Park in Bellevue is the original trail system in the area.  Whether you are looking for windy singletrack, rooty climbs, or speedy descents, Swanson has it.


Swanson is unique every time you ride it and not just in the ride.  I've come across a mangled deer carcass, adulterous rendezvouses, burning cars, and the always disturbing pile of cheerleader pompoms.  Something is always goin' down at Swanson!  Aside from the random weirdness, the trail is sweet. 

(creepy pompoms)

The trail starts on the northeast side of the parking lot and meanders down a new reroute to the original beginning of the trail and starts to climb.  It makes its way to the west side of the park, where the deer and mountain lions play (here kitty kitty!) until you reach a quick drop followed by a steep, short, rooty up.  The trail meanders through forested hillside hitting a steep down and up with some airtime and passing the creepy pile of pompoms (CHH, Chh, chh, CHA, Cha, cha).  Here the trail follows a ravine then makes a dive right down into it!  Watch it in the bottom of the ravine as it can get slick with mud, says the guy with mud on his ass.

The trail eventually makes it's way north and around the Firefighter training area (location of burning car) and flies down the other side.  You will next encounter a series of hops that will have you giggling like a 3rd grader farting in class!  After one last climb the trail leads southeast and back to the parking lot.  Everyone loves Swanson, because it's Swanson baby!!

To get there, from Omaha take Kennedy freeway south off of I-80 to the Cornhusker highway exit.  Take a right onto Cornhusker and follow it to the first right turn past Cedar Island Rd across from the church.
Mapquest map

6 comments:

  1. Phil, Great Blog. Good information and pictures. I will definitely recommend it to my customers at Thurman's Bike and Sport in Nebraska City that are looking for good information. Any plans for a write up on Lewis and Clark Monument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, just something I'm messing with. I plan on mapping out and posting on Lewis and Clark, just haven't got out there this year after the flooding. I've heard that the water never reached the lower parts of the trail, so I will plan on getting there before winter. I also was waiting for my new bike to arrive. Just took it for its first ride today! Sweetness! Thanks for following and I will stop by Thurman's Bike if I am in Nebraska City. Is Indian Caves worth a trip or too rutted out by horses??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the map of Swanson Park. Wish I knew about it before I tried for the first time yesterday. Actually; seeing Alex's post reminded me that he did show it once but forgot to check for it. Map will make it easier to remember once I get back in a few weeks.

    I was at Indian Caves over last summer. Trail I took was a mess with steep ravines only an expert would try if they were cleared, deep ruts in the trail that made pedaling hard and tree logs all over. I spent more time hiking the bike than actual riding. Lady at the front entrance said the trails were all clear. She clearly missed the trail I followed.

    I should probably head out some time in the next week or so to try out the other side of the park. If it was cleaned up right, it might make for some good riding but probably for expert only given the steep terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Bethany! I have been to Indian Caves once and only hiked the southern trail that ends at the actual cave. I have heard that many of the trails did not have mountain bikers in mind when they were built, straight up and straight down! I will look around for an expert and have them check it out, lol! Thanks for checkin out the site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was at Swason a little over two weeks ago and went over the bars at point C. I cleared the dip but didn't realize the trail turned and crashed. Is it just me or is the park not marked very well from easy to advanced and the direction you should be going? I seem to recall walking up C the last time I was there but it was my first time. It also looks like people have added their shortcuts to get through making it harder to find your way. There are also points where the paths meet or are so close together it's easy to find yourself in a totally different direction.

    It was my second time on the trail and the map helped. Thanks.

    Haven't made it to Indian Caves..been out of commission with a really bad concussion from going over the bike. Hit that downhill pretty fast. Son said I had some air time and thought it was totally awesome his mom could do that and wished he'd had a camera to record the crash. I will give credit to Swanson for having the softest dirt anyone could wish to land in face first.

    The area around the fire station is perfectly marked. Just not the beginning part of the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil,

    Was at Indian Caves a couple of weeks ago. No way would I put a bike through that area. Hiked about 3-4 miles and while some parts had potential, you'd end up dropping off a ravine, crash through the trees at high speed going down hill with a sharp turn. The horses have pretty much ruined a lot of the area as well. It's too bad as a MTB trail, if done right would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete